Pat McFadden Labour MP for Wolverhampton South East Pat McFadden MP for Wolverhampton South East
I thought it might be helpful to update you on how my office is operating during the current period.
Obviously this is an unprecedented situation with a thousand different unforeseen consequences. I am enormously grateful to our NHS staff for the tremendous work they are doing in treating people who have contracted the coronavirus – and their preparations for more to come. I am also grateful to the staff in many other critical areas from food supply to deliveries of essential goods who are keeping the country going and helping us get through this crisis.
In recent days many constituents have contacted me with a whole range of questions and issues around what is happening. The issues raised include the following:
- Help for self employed people (who are not covered by the wage subsidy plan announced by the Government last week)
- Conditions at work for people ie people feeling they are being asked to work in conditions where social distancing guidelines are not being observed or are impossible to observe
- PPE (Personal protective equipment) in various occupations
- People who have relatives trapped abroad, particularly in India
- Which businesses should be open and which should be closed
- Some who are following the advice to stay home and concerned about their own food or medicine situation
And many more issues besides. In truth, we do not always have an answer to every question raised but we are trying to help people as much as we can and point you to the best available advice or source of help. I will also keep posting information here from reputable public agencies as the situation unfolds.
Finally, I would like to thank the many local groups that have sprung up to offer help to people in our local area. These are people showing the best of the human spirit and we owe them all our gratitude.